At Fora, we’re reimagining the travel advisor industry with fresh eyes. Our mission is bold. We want to empower >100,000 entrepreneurs to transform a passion for travel into income, and we’re doing it by building a travel agency that is modern, inclusive, tech-enabled and, well, cool.
Founded in 2021 by three experienced entrepreneurs, Fora has grown to a team of 25+ full-time employees with an HQ office in TriBeCa, New York City. We are fortunate to be backed by an incredible group of investors and are looking for more talented and mission-driven individuals to join our early team. Read more about us in Condé Nast Traveler, where we were featured as one of the 56 Bright Ideas of Travel in 2022.
About the role
We're looking for a mid-level Data Analyst to join our growing Product Operations team, which sits within the Tech org and works across all business functions. In this role you are the first team member dedicated to data and our business insights platform. We implemented a tool scrappily this fall (2022) and are excited to invest in building it out. This is where you come into play! Your mandate is to build our insights tool into a business-critical resource.
This role is a unique opportunity for a business- and people-savvy analyst to join and build a data function from scratch, with direct and substantial exposure to our executive team and functional leaders. You will:
- Build dashboards and visualizations for non-technical users
- Build data models and saved queries that enable users to self-serve on commonly used data - essentially our ‘sanctioned’ data
- Create alerts based on specific queries
- Integrate data flows from multiple platforms to make them visible / joinable / query-able
- Serve as a data consult to functional leads and executives
- Implement appropriate staff access and data governance practices
By the end of your first 4-6 weeks, you should understand our most commonly-used data and have built user-friendly data models that allow non-SQL users to download and manipulate that data in Sheets/Excel. You should also be starting to document processes around sanctioned vs. unsanctioned data and staff access.
By the end of your first 3 months, you should have the key dashboards and models in place that allow non-SQL users to understand our user base and bookings. This will be a combination of pre-configured dashboards / visualizations and raw data tables that users can export and manipulate themselves in Gsheets/Excel. You will hopefully be starting to integrate more data sources with our insights platform to make them available to query and analyze.
In this role you will report to the VP, Product Ops, who is based in NYC and works a hybrid remote / in-office schedule.
You love to geek out on data and discover what insights can be gleaned by looking at it in different ways, whether about business performance or operations. You don't need to be a data scientist or statistician, but you do need to understand what data can (and can't) tell us and why - and how to explain it in layperson terms.
To be successful, we believe you need 3-5 years experience in some combination of high-growth, startup, tech, or consulting environments, with the following demonstrated skills and qualities:
- Analytical "chops" – technically capable in SQL (query) and Excel/Gsheets
- Drive to insight - the "so what" / why does this thing in the data matter
- Top notch listener - you have to be able to understand user needs and operational reality
- Communication with both technical & non-technical stakeholders - spoken & written
- Knowledge of Insights tools like Periscope, Looker, Metabase, etc. and experience using ≥1
- Attention to detail
The strongest candidates will also likely have some if not all of the following skills:
- Data visualization - so that your data tells a story (this will be a coaching point if it is not a strength to begin with)
- Data engineering / infrastructure experience with ETL tools and platforms like BigQuery or Segment
- Creative problem solving
- Independent project management
Benefits & perks
This is a full-time role based in New York City with a hybrid WFH & office schedule. Our benefits include unlimited vacation, health/dental/vision insurance, One Medical membership, 401(k), commuter benefits, supplemental life insurance, and more. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes equity options.
You must have authorization to work in the United States. Fora is unable to assist applicants with obtaining work authorization.
Fora is committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment. BIPOC and traditionally underrepresented candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We will not discriminate and will take action to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any other characteristic protected by law.