Technical Product Manager
TECHNICAL PRODUCT MANAGER
We're a team of entrepreneurs and technologists building something new—with travel advisors, creators and enthusiasts at the center.
We see an opportunity to rebuild the travel agency with fresh eyes: cool, community-driven, gig-economy enabled, Airbnb design, modern tools.
Our mission is to empower 100,000+ travel-lovers, solo entrepreneurs, flexibility-seekers, freelancers & creators to be travel entrepreneurs: designing experiential trips, creating & leading trips, & selling hotels, houses & experiences.
Founded by three serial entrepreneurs—Henley Vazquez, Jake Peters & Evan Frank—our ambition is to build the next generational brand in travel together with a great team. We are fortunate to be backed by an incredible group of investors and now looking for more people to join our early team.
We are hiring a Technical Product Manager to be an early technical leader interfacing cross functionally with engineering, product, travel operations, content, marketing, community, and our third-party partners/vendors. This person will help determine what's possible, evaluate how to solve data and technical challenges, and partner on implementing solutions. This role will report directly to our Co-Founder / Chief Product & Technical Officer.
This is a unique chance to work on a product from the ground up, generate ideas to build from scratch, and create something that will transform an industry. As an early employee, you will also help define how we build and engineer at Fora and have an input into our ways of working. Think of the role as a mix of Technical Architect / Product Manager / Data Engineer / Software Engineer responsibilities, perfect for a technical generalist with a strong engineering background, with plenty of opportunity to assume responsibility and take on increased leadership or specialize in a specific area within product and engineering as we grow.
We are based in New York City and looking to build the core of our team there, so ideally you live in the area and can come join us for some days of the week in lower Manhattan.
WHO YOU ARE
- Capable of working across all aspects of what we are building, from front-end sites to our advisor-facing platform, back-end systems, data integrations with partner systems, and internal tools
- Able to support the product team and provide technical guidance to solution development, and with engineering on: writing requirements, ensuring technical requirements and objectives are clear, collaborating on technical architecture, helping to solve issues, and ensuring stewardship of the implementation of our data models, pipelines, integrations, and reporting processes
- Experienced in interfacing with third-party partners and leading technical integrations with vendor tools and partner systems
- Obsessive about details, meticulously organized, and able to juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, with a strong bias for action
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Use your technical education and experience to lead / participate in product, technical, design, and analytics discussion and processes
- Own creation of technical requirements, product stories, and architecture of data models
- Ensure strong communication between the organization and the engineering team, clarifying communications, answering questions, and removing blockers
- Manage our data across its lifecycle across the organization from collection to consumption, being mindful of accuracy, security, and scalability
- Evaluate, spec, build and manage 3rd party tools, partner integrations, APIs, and data reporting processes
- Roll up your sleeves and dive into code, logs, and data to understand how things are working and where improvements can be made
- Conduct all sorts of data analysis, manipulation, verification, and validation as needed, generating reporting and insight for internal and external stakeholders
- Use your strong data analysis skills to help inform product decisions, evaluate feature effectiveness, monitor that data processes are working, and root out the occasional bug
WHAT YOU BRING
- 5+ years of experience across software engineering, data engineering, and/or technical product management, building and launching products.
- Strong CS background, preferably with a degree or significant study/training in Computer Science or related Engineering discipline.
- Extensive experience defining projects, driving requirements, and coordinating teams in an agile environment.
- Ability to architect, manage, and manipulate data and know SQL, Excel, and scripting (ideally Python).
- Understanding of synchronous and asynchronous data processes, REST APIs, ETL, JSON/XML, the importance of and techniques to verify, validate, and clean data, and experience architecting reliable integrations.
- Experience with data stores across the big data, data warehouse, data cloud / lake space.
- Experience with BI tools like Looker or data analysis tools like Jupyter Notebooks, a plus.
- Experience with the travel agent industry, travel distribution / suppliers, or other travel tools/systems, a plus. Experience with fintech or payments, a plus.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Opportunity for equity in an early-stage, venture-backed company
- Flexible PTO
- Company-sponsored health, dental & vision insurance (including an option 100% covered by Fora)
- Supplemental life insurance
- One Medical membership
- 401k plan
- Commuter benefits
- Ability to earn commission and perks on your own travel bookings
- Hybrid work environment, with two fully remote weeks encouraged
- Regular travel-related team events
You must have authorization to work in the United States. Fora is unable to assist applicants with obtaining work authorization.
Fora is committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment. BIPOC and traditionally underrepresented candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We will not discriminate and will take action to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any other characteristic protected by law.